Presuming Eternal Security is True
Presuming a doctrine is Biblical, when it isn't, has led to many out of context scriptures and many bible distortions! This is basic rationale. Even false teachers know that to be true. For example, popular false teacher, Charles Stanley
Has Led to Many Out of Context Scriptures
The question of whether or not salvation is forever is not an isolated one. One's answer to this question affects every facet of one's theology.
This statement is true! If a person is subjected to a once saved always saved
(OSAS) teacher, ministry or mind set, he, his family and friends will be exposed to soteriology (the doctrine of salvation) that is dangerously different than what the Scriptures actually teach.
That means for someone to presume eternal security is biblical, he will embrace a faulty out of context
1) At least seven of the Lord's parables:
the prodigal son (Lk. 15:11-32).
2) All of the warnings cited in the gospels and epistles given to Christians, which refer to their possible loss of salvation
the sower (Lk. 8:5-15).
the fruitless fig tree (Lk. 13:6-9).
the faithful and wise manager (Lk. 12:45,46; Mt. 24:45-51).
the unmerciful servant (Mt. 18:21-35).
the ten virgins (Mt. 25:1-13).
the talents (Mt. 25:24-30).
(Mt. 5:22; 10:22; 10:28; 10:33; 18:1-3; Rom. 11:19-23; Gal. 5:19-21; 6:8-10; Eph. 5:5-7; Rev. 2:10,11; 22:19; etc.), and many warnings of the righteous turning to sin and dying spiritually
because of such (Ezek. 33:13; 3:21 cf. 18:24; etc.).
3) All of the other Scriptures that teach that sin can bring a true Christian to his spiritual death
(Rom. 8:13; Jam. 1:14,15; Gal. 6:8,9; etc.).
4) All of the specific examples of saved individuals who, after their regeneration, became temporarily lost again or totally and finally fell away and never returned to the Lord (Saul, Solomon, the Apostle Judas Iscariot, etc.). See Chapter 13 of The Believer's Conditional Security.
Again, all of these Scriptures must be avoided or distorted by the OSAS teachers to the point where OSAS will not be jeopardized by their clear meaning.
5) Then on the other hand, all of the Scriptures used as proof texts for OSAS must be mishandled somehow to declare OSAS! This would include Scriptures like John 10:28; Rom. 8:38,39; Jude 24; etc. With all of this in mind, there very well could be hundreds of verses which have been avoided, distorted or misinterpreted by OSAS teachers to support their false gospel and grace message. (See page 625 in The Believer's Conditional Security for other unscriptural OSAS distortions and conclusions.)
6) Beyond all this, the eternal security teachers will distort God's love, faithfulness, keeping power, etc.; also, how a Christian will lose his rewards and what he will experience because of such. (Charles Stanley and other eternal security teachers think there is a section of Heaven that is outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth going on because rewards are burned up.) Once saved always saved proponents will also be adversely affected by this doctrine by the way they evangelize, counsel and even choose a person for office of elder (1 Tim. 3:6).
Out of Context Scriptures in Summary
Please be aware that presuming a doctrine is true, when it is dangerously false, is not unique to eternal security proponents! The Jevovah's Witnesses, Catholics, Latter Day Saints, Universalists, Seventh Day Adventists, etc. have all fallen prey to believing out of context scripture. To avoid becoming a victim yourself and being deceived by out of context scripture, drop all preconceived ideas of what you think the Bible says and just read and believe what it declares both before and after the given text. Knowing what God wants and his truth, especially regarding salvation, is most important. Don't presume something to be true just because you heard something you like (as coming from Joseph Prince sermons) or zealous teachers, like Jehovah's Witnesses who seem sincere and quote scripture! The devil can quote scripture too! ALWAYS carefully check the context of a passage to avoid being a victim of believing misused, distorted and out of context scriptures.
Mythical god of Eternal Security
The Command to Keep Away From Them
Taking Away The Key To Knowledge
Possible Spiritual Tragedies Between Initial and Final Salvation
Evangelical Outreach Alphabetical Map
Contact Us Or Join Our Internet Church